Today’s world is powered by the internet and at some point of time, everyone is going to use it for some process. While the internet has millions of domain names, each day thousands of them expire. An expired domain is one which is not renewed. The expiration of domain happens as a step by step process wherein the owner is given an extension of 30 days by the domain registrar in case he hasn’t renewed it yet. If the domain is not renewed during this period, then the domain is declared as expired and the domain is put on bidding by the registrar. This bidding process will be for 7 days and this is where good, expired domains are bought.
Why are Expired Domain So Important?
For building a good network for the business and get visibility of the domain’s listing in the Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs), a new domain is not of much use. The google algorithm is structured in such a way that it fetches the domain that was first indexed by the google search engine. This is where the aged / expired domains come into play. These expired domains have a good history that they carry with the attached back links. The expired domains also have all the previous SEO metrics that they carry forward with them:
- Domain Authority (DA): A metric used to measure the domain based on its’ age, popularity and size. If the DA is higher, then it means the site is more trustworthy for the search engines.
- Page Authority (PA): This is very similar to DA but looks into specific page. The relevance of information and the links to the page are looked upon.
- Page Rank: At one point of time, Page Rank was considered to be an important aspect for all SEOs. But now the importance has shifted to the DA and PA. PRs are now being faked a lot. However, if an expired domain has a good PR backed with a good PA and DA, then go for it.
- Trust Flow: Trust Flow is again a metric for measuring trustworthiness of the site
- Citation Flow: This is based on the links to the site. As it measures the popularity of the site, a 15+ is basically required.
- Age: It is better to look for expired domains that are at least 2 years old.
Why Newly Expired Domains are more Important?
There are three reasons attached to grabbing a newly Expired Domain.
- Newly Deleted Domains will have links still attached to them. When a person gets a newly expired Domain and builds new content, then there is a high possibility that the users would click on the old links, visit the new site and possibly do business there.
- If deleted domains are registered late, then many users would have clicked on old links and would see no content (as the domain is expired). They would in turn raise complaints to the linking site and the link would be removed from that site.
- Also, being late in registering Expired domains means there is a high possibility someone else would acquire it and the chance of acquiring that domain is lost.
Even after the Expired domains are bought, relevant content related to the previous content have to be published. Continuing the relevance from the previous site is good for SEO. This also means that, even though a visitor has visited the site to look at the old contents, he/she might be interested in the new one as the subject is similar.
Finding Expired Domains
With Domain Hunter Gatherer’s Expired Domain Hunter, finding expired domains is easy. The Expired Domain Hunter searches for expired domains based on keyword, check the quality of the domains and also filter the expired domains based on the metrics mentioned above. These lists can be saved for reference at a later point of time and is also very easy to set up.
Find a good Expired Domain and build your SEO advantage.